You can consider the above-given list as the best game development companies to choose from. While some of these software-developing companies focus on mobile game development, some can also develop games for both PC and mobile. Nonetheless, all of them use a strategic methodology to create unique games for the audiences and, through brainstorming sessions, decide what is best for the game development project. These companies are highly credible and reputed in the game development industry and well renowned for their professionalism and excellent quality results. All the above-mentioned game-developing companies strike perfection, and this is what makes them the top game-development companies in 2023.
Firms Explorer underwent in-depth research where the team observed that these game-developing companies have opened up huge growth horizons for all the people wishing to explore the gaming industry. So, if you are among these people, read this guide to learn all about how to choose the best game development company to convert your idea into a reality.
What do you mean by Game Development?
Game Development is the systematic procedure of creating, designing, coding, testing, and launching a game on sundry gaming platforms. Game development companies generally comprise industry specialists, designers, testers, finance managers, marketers, and programmers. While this is the minimum requirement of experts for a game to be developed, it is not mandatory to appoint freelancers, as one can hire a game development studio. It will save your efforts and energy that you could channel to head toward more productive work projects.
Freelancer gamer developers may cause your process pain as the knowledge base in that specific niche may not be sufficient enough to cope with that of enormous industry sharks. It is, therefore, advised to seek help from professionals where the chances of errors are the least. Another reason why you should hire a game development company is that the point of contact at all stages remains constant. Additionally, the project's cost is pre-apprehended, so managing the funds becomes facile and undemanding.
What Are the Different Stages involved in Game Development?
As exciting as it may sound, developing a game is not that simple. It involves a lot of diligence, consistency, the zeal to overcome failures, and the ability to come up with solutions in strenuous situations. Precision must be adhered to at every stage to attain the desired results. The procedure of game development, as the experts would opine, involves sundry stages. These stages have been enclosed in 5 major stages to encapsulate the gist of it. To have a finer apprehension of the procedure that the best game development companies inculcate in their strategy formulation, follow the given list of stages involved in game development:-
- Planning: The first and foremost step in any software development project is to prepare a detailed blueprint of the project through copious yet delirious sessions with the team. The planning process requires a lot of questioning and then carving out the blueprint of the game development project based on the audience to be targeted, the type of game being built up, the project's budget, and finally, deducing the releasing platforms for it.
- Pre-production: This stage involves working on the intricate details of the project, like articulating a storyline, creating the revenue target, or an entire framework setup based on which the game would progress. The top game development companies also look up the technological requisites and focus on prototyping the game. Milestones are also decided at this stage.
- Production: This is the stage where the game actually begins to exist. The designers commence formulating the layout and design of the game. They further coordinate with the programmer, who in turn, initiates the coding process. The rewards for winners, routes/rules for leveling up in the game, user-engagement enhancing features, audio-visual effects, and physical and local parameters are finalized.
- Testing: At this stage, the game is monitored, and its functionality is tested. Your chosen best game development company will test the compatibility of the game, its ability to attract and maintain an audience, the level of hardness of the game, and its features. After the approval of the tester, the game gets hot for a trot. Finally, it will be launched after rectifying the suggested errors.
- Pre-Launch: In this stage, the beta versions of the game are set in motion to identify further bugs in the game. The audience’s response is monitored, and the marketing team creates hype for the game's launch. The game development studio cautiously ensures that the game reaches the targeted audience optimally.
- Launch: One last time before the game debuted, it is the tester's job to detect major bugs in the game and then work in coordination with the programmer to eradicate the major bugs first and then the minor ones. The polishing of the game is concluded then the final structure of the game is analyzed. Ultimately, the game is released in the market. Now the ball is in the audience’s court.
Best Programming Languages for Game Development in 2023
Once we are acquainted with the stages of game development that the top game development companies follow, it becomes more intriguing to find out which Programming languages they use for developing exciting games. After all, gaining technical knowledge in the game development industry could be advantageous. You can anytime leverage this knowledge to crack an assignment project or close a deal with a prominent game-developing company. You can also test the efficiency of the programmers whenever you wish to hire game developers of top-notch quality for your organization.
Now, if you are thinking of opting for a video game development company, then the list given below will definitely help you analyze all the programming languages and then decide for yourself. The most frequently used programming languages by game development companies are
- C++: It is one of the most commonly used game programming languages. The game has many advantages, from its superior features that enable you to optimize special parts to a very high level to provide direct control over hardware and graphical processes.
- Java: With its commendable versatility and availability of a wide range of open sources, Java is one of the best programming languages for beginners. It is highly compatible with debugging, compiling, and learning.
- Python: Last but not least, the programming language which is gradually gaining popularity in the gaming industry is Python. Commonly used by new game development companies because of its user-friendly approach and runs on OPP principles.
Apart from the programming mentioned above languages, other languages, such as Unreal Script, Lua, and C#, have been used to prototype games.
Exploring Different Types of Game Development
When we talk about games, there are numerous niches to choose from. Narrowing down to one particular niche determines the entire course of action that will take place in the future. There are different types of games in the market, from puzzles to role-play to action-oriented games. Therefore, before selecting the best game development company for your idea, it should be your priority to determine the type of game. Below are some game development options that one should consider before diving into.
- Action games: These are the games that stimulate the violent side of the users. As scary as it may sound, these are one of the most popular games and are widely preferred by the youth. Action games require a lot of spontaneity; hence programmers should focus on challenging the players' reflexes. For example, Donkey Kong or Galaga.
- Action-adventure games: These games generally incorporate two elements; one is the action and the other one is a quest or a destination to be reached to win the game. These games are extremely engaging. However, the game design studio you select must incorporate an engaging storyline and mind-blowing graphics.
- Simulation games: Focusing on creating VR effects, Simulation games are created to customize and awestruck the users. It is their unique features that interest a lot of people and, therefore, create hype for these games in the market.
- Sports games: As the name suggests, these are games that are based on a particular sport. For example, cricket or football or pool. These games are purely interest-based; therefore, only those who are cricket fans will love to download this game. But it has been observed that a person may develop an interest in a particular sport after playing a virtual game.
- Puzzle games: These are the most challenging games. They channel the energy from every cell in your brain. The audiences for such games are people who like to challenge their intellectual capabilities, so the game developers must have a special regard for this aspect.
Top Game Development Engines to Work With
Since you have decided on your programming language, it is time to assemble all the parts of your game and launch it for the world to enjoy. And if you are facing a dilemma where you can’t decide on the correct development engine for you, here is a list of the top 5 development engines for games.
- RPG Maker: This is one of the best game development engines. The engine is user-friendly and has additional advanced tabs that can make your work easy if you wish to work on details.
- MUGEN: This is a 2D fighting genre game developing an engine best suited for developing action and action-adventure games. Creating and working on characters is easy, thereby leveling them up. It could be a handy task with this game development engine.
- Adventure Game Studio: With focusing on point and click action games genre, this is a brilliant development engine. If point and click are the main actors involved in your game, this could be the best game studio for you.
- GameMaker: This game development engine has an advanced design and enables you to work more flexibly on the layout of your game. You can further dive into advanced coding for some features in your game. Else you can just use a minimal coding format and enjoy working.
- Gamebryo: This could be your chance for all the experts who wish to work on a robust game development engine. Gamebryo has advanced features that let you work effectively, ensuring that game development is a huge success.
Factors that Affect Game Development Cost
Well, nothing comes for free. Everything has a price tag attached to it, and the gaming industry is no exception. Cost is among the first factors influencing your decision to choose one of the best game development companies. However, there are many factors that can hinder smooth budgeting or affect your project's budgeting process. Therefore, it becomes mandatory to consider these factors before making a budget plan. As we have discussed earlier, to ensure smooth functioning, you should consider the following factors, which are given below:
- Type and Size of the Game: If you have a defined blueprint where the type and size of your game have been specified then you are doing it right. It is important to ascertain the type and size of your game. This is what top game development companies do. In this way, you can find out the approximate cost of developing a game and then prepare the budget and allocate funds to other things accordingly.
- Platforms and Devices: If you plan to launch a game, you must determine the number of platforms and types of devices you wish to launch your game on. Rationally speaking, launching the game for only android and iOS devices would be cheaper than launching it for both PC (Windows and Mac) and Mobile (android and IOS).
- Design: If the game's design is quite exquisite, it is obvious that you have hired the best game development company charging a handsome amount. A more realistic design would lead to more effort and, therefore, more payment to the designers.
- Features and Functionality: The more functionalities and features will be the cost. Therefore, it is advised to be precise when adding features and functionalities to your game. Unnecessary features will work only up to your cost and won’t affect the user.
- Maintenance and Marketing: This is where you may manage cost-cutting. With the game development company you chose, you can select a platform for marketing your new game. Also, maintenance of the game post-launching is another cost you should consider only after monitoring customers’ responses and feedback.
How Much Does Game Development Cost?
One of the most important tasks you should do before you hire a game development company is research. You should know the market trends, current prices, and the fluctuation rate. Your budget should definitely have some surplus amount in case of any mishap. The cost of developing a game depends upon your requirements and the type of game that you wish to make. On average, the cost of developing seasoned games is $40-$70 per hour for the technical work and resource planning. However, the overall cost that a Game Development company charges for creating a game are as follows:
Game Development companies charge $5K- $10k for developing a Mini Game, whereas they may take $20k-$40k for developing a simple 2D Game. While some game development companies charge $40k-$100K to develop a game with moderate complexities, the prices can rise to $80-$200k when the complexities increase, and you wish to create a more complex game. While these are some of the basic prices, the actual prices may vary from country to country depending upon the professionals' availability and the country's ongoing eco-political situations. You can anytime outsource the work but beware of fraud and malpractices.
How to Shortlist Top Game Development Companies for Your Game?
Well, selecting the best game development company for your idea could be a challenging task as it will affect your goodwill in the market and your financial status. Therefore, choosing the correct Game Development Company is a significant task. A lot of things will be at stake!
In order to make this difficult task easy for you, we have come up with some suggestions that you should definitely consider before hiring a game development company.
- The reputation of the Company: You do not know the company personnel personally, so the only way to analyze its credibility is by looking at its reputation in the market. By critically studying the clients’ reviews of a game design company, you can very conveniently determine the company's potential and, therefore, decide if you wish to collaborate with the company.
- Portfolio: A company’s portfolio is like a manipulated report card of a company. The company will try to project its undertaken programs as boastfully as possible. However, with keen observation and understanding of the industry, you can determine if that’s worth it or not. Of course, not everything mentioned in the portfolio is a lie: but it’s always safe to do your own research.
- Cost and Experience: Cost and experience can be a deciding factor, as experienced professionals will deliver quality results at higher prices. On the other hand, freshers would do the same work at an economical price but may or may not deliver quality results. Therefore, striking a balance between experience and price should be your priority. Attaining sustainability through excellence should also be a priority when selecting a game development software partner.
With the emergence of AR, VR, and other future technologies, the gaming industry is witnessing a skyrocketing boom. It has become obligatory to update the technology and skilled personnel ordinarily. Firms Explorer is aware of this fact and therefore has made a list of the best game development companies. The ones mentioned in the above list have to qualify specific Firm Explorer’s parameters to get enlisted above. Compromise on any parameter is not entertained by the talented team of Firms Explorer.
Firms Explorer lays down several qualifying parameters thereby short-listing only the best Game Development Companies that are resourceful and ardent towards achieving higher goals. They have set the bar quite high for their competitors.
If you are an aspiring game development company willing to get enlisted on our list, then you can connect with us via email. Our experts will get in contact with you. And if you are a potential client looking for the best Game Development company, then go through the list thoroughly.